Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Homemade Potstickers!



I don't often post savory recipes, because I think that every recipe needs to have a photo, but I stink at photographing food, especially dinner food, because I don't have time to stage ... I'm hungry! So apologies for the lame photos, but I wanted to post this recipe because I was proud of myself for making something that seems complicated, but is really pretty easy. 

I did some searching to find a good recipe to adapt. I was really nervous about using raw meat, because the cooking time is so short, but no worries! These cooked up so quickly and well done. I found a recipe that was most similar to what I was looking for and made some adjustments:

Chicken Potstickers

1 pound ground chicken
1 cup shredded cabbage (already had on hand from another meal this week!)*
1/4 tsp pepper**
1 egg
2 cloves minced garlic
4 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp sesame oil
40 wonton wrappers

Mix all ingredients together. Scoop (mini scoop!) into center of wonton wrapper. Rub water around the edges of the wrapper and join the corners to meet in the center, sealing all edges. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment and refrigerate covered until ready to cook.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add small amount of canola oil to pan. Once oil is hot, add the dumplings and cook until they are golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup water to the pan, cover and turn the heat down low. Cook until water is almost all gone, about 10 minutes.

*I thought these were a little short on veggies ... I'd also add a finely chopped red pepper next time.
**I had also originally added salt ... they don't need it, soy sauce makes them plenty salty.

The recipe makes about 40 dumplings ... I cooked half for dinner and froze the rest. (Freeze on cookie sheet until firm, then transfer to a freezer bag. Thaw before cooking.)


(And here's another pic so you can see the yummy browned bit on the bottom!) 

On the night I made these, Jeff was working until 8 pm. I thought I'd make the kids their own early dinner, and he and I would have these together later in the evening. But something amazing happened while assembling ... all three kids wanted to know what I was making, and two requested to have them with their dinner, as well! So I make a small batch to serve along with their hot dogs and mac & cheese - and they actually liked them! Next time, I'll serve them to everyone with rice (save some plain for the pickies) and a veggie on the side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment