Saturday, February 6, 2010

Baking Saturday - Almond Sugar Hearts

Clearly, I'm a fan of Valentine's Day, as we've been working on many projects this week and there are more to come. I was thinking about it today, and besides my love for hearts and all things red and pink, this is the month where I finally have the energy to put time and love into these kind of projects. You know, the kind of things I intend to do at Christmas time, except December is so freaking busy I can barely keep everyone bathed and fed. So, YES! I'm loving February this year.

Ever since I made the almond cookies on Monday, I've been thinking how sugar sprinkles would make them so much better. Obsessing might be a better word. I actually DREAMT about these cookies last night, I was so excited about making them today. Guess what? I'm in LOVE. They look and taste amazing. These are for our Sunday school Valentine party tomorrow. Aren't those kids lucky to have me? Yes, I think so.



Pre-baking.



Just out of the oven.



Yum.



OMG SO PRETTY.



I'm sharing the recipe below. It originally came from this website. I added a tsp of red food coloring with the almond and vanilla, which was probably more than I needed, they turned out a very intense shade. Obviously, use much less if you're going for something more subtle. They are good iced, but the sprinkle sugar is my hands-down favorite.

Almond Butter Cookies

3/4 cup butter (room temp)
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 beaten egg
2 1/2 cups flour

• Mix the butter and sugar till fluffy and light.
• Add the salt, vanilla and almond and mix for 30 seconds.
• Mix in the beaten egg.
• Put in all the flour in one go, and gather together to make a firm dough.
• Chill for at least 30 minutes in wrap.
• Roll out on a floured surface to 3/8" thickness and cut with cookie cutters.
• Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes, watching closely so that they don’t get too brown.
• Remove from oven, move to racks to cool.

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment: