Friday, August 27, 2010

What's for Dinner Tonight

Taking a break from the usual sweets today to talk about the savory. Tacos have been in our regular meal rotation forever. It was few years ago when I realized that homemade taco seasoning is so easy to make, now I can't believe all the years I bought packaged seasoning mixes! I'm guessing that there are many variations to be found, but this is the recipe we like. There are a lot of ingredients, so it's kind of a pain to combine each time, but I multiplied the recipe by four, so now I make a big batch will last a few meals.

1/2 c flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
8 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder



To cook: add 3 tbsp mix and 1/4 c water to ground beef or turkey. Cook until browned. I also sometimes throw some salsa right into the mix too, after it's cooked.

That's it! So easy!

And to go along with tacos - also from the "I can't believe I used to buy this in a box" category - Spanish Rice. This is really, really good ... restaurant good! Browning the rice before cooking makes all the difference.

2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 1/2 c uncooked white rice
2 c chicken broth
1 c salsa or picante sauce (Use a little less if I want the kids to eat it).

• Heat oil in a large skillet, stir in onion and cook until tender (about 5 min).
• Mix rice into skillet, stirring often, until rice begins to brown.
• Add broth and salsa. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes until liquid has been absorbed.

I'd also like to try making homemade tortillas ... sounds like a good thing to try this winter. Enjoy!

1 comment: