Monday, March 12, 2012

Baking Monday - Cream Cheese Cutouts

My grandma is an awesome baker. I don't believe she ever had just one specialty, she was always trying out new recipes, and everything she made was fantastic. I remember her making cookies only once that I just loved, called "E" cookies. I've had the recipe for years, but never made them, because the recipe just seemed ... wrong. The only ingredients were cream cheese, butter and flour. But I've been on a cream cheese baking kick lately, so I decided to try them out. I wisely opted to only make half the recipe and have a backup plan in place, just in case. Good thing I did ... more on that later. First up: the backup plan!



I made half of this recipe, which suggested rolling the cream cheese cutout cookies in sprinkles OR adding them directly into the dough. Fun!



Ooooh, pretty.



Cutting them out ...



... and ready to bake.



These turned out terrific, and they are yummy even without frosting. Now, back to grandma's recipe ... clearly, something was not right, because they turned out like this:



Weird, misshapen, and sliding all over the tray. Taste ... not good. They were semi-flaky on top, and still doughy in the middle. Most definitely NOT the delicious cookie that I remember having years ago. So, YAY for backup plans!



Which I made AGAIN later in the week, for the art show at Clark's school. These were closer to the cookie that I remember, but not exactly the same. I've tried searching for an "E" cookie recipe, but have never found them anywhere else, so if anyone has ever heard of these, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment